Monday, April 23, 2012

Ch Ch Ch Chia!

My new favourite food is highly addictive.

  • Take as much fat-free plain Greek yogurt as you have in the fridge (or as much as you want to use...maybe just a 1/2 cup or so to try this out).
  • Add roughly equal part cold water and stir stir stir until well combined.
  • Toss in at least a few good tablespoons of Ruth's Chia Goodness and stir stir stir until well combined. I use the Apple Almond Cinnamon version.
Now just let it chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, or even better overnight. The yogurt mixture becomes nice and sweet with an altered change of consistency.

I know what you're thinking. "Why would you water down the deliciously thick Greek yogurt like that?" If you've never had Chia seeds before, they swell up when combined with liquid so they will expand and make the mixture thick and delicious. What's also great about doing this is that it will take you twice as long to eat your yogurt so you won't have to buy it as often. I also really like this because I can only eat small amounts of yogurt at a time without making myself sick, so I can trick myself into thinking that I am eating more yogurt than I actually am since the original amount of yogurt was watered down and revitalized.

Chia seeds are great for you and I highly recommend researching them and learn more about their greatness. The health benefits and science behind this seed is really interesting. Taken from Ruth's Foods website, Chia seeds:
- Have more Omega 3 than flax or salmon
- Have 5x more calcium than milk
- Are one of nature's best sources of fibre
- Are about 20% complete protein
- Are a great source of iron and other minerals
- Are very low glycemic due to its "gel quality"

Give it a try! If you don't like it then just invite me over and I'll take it off your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment