One of my all-time favourite Christmas movies is White Christmas, and Bing Crosby said it best, "When I'm worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep." This post is dedicated to all of the blessings in my life which have given me a very festive spirit and the smile that has been glued to my face all day.
- The fact that it's December 24th, sunny and 8 degrees outside. ABOVE ZERO!
- My amazing family back home who sends me love every day.
- My generous mom who always pays attentions and knows what I want/need and surprises me with the perfect gifts every year.
- My oldest sister who loves Christmas to the max, makes everything beautiful and has given me an adorable nephew (and soon to be niece!) and keeps me updated on the happenings around home.
- My middle sister who makes teeny tiny snowmen for me (which always makes me laugh) and has survived a year from hell with amazing strength and courage.
- My niece who has been such an inspiring person in my life. Watching her and hearing the stories of her strength throughout all of the chemotherapy, horrible treatments and tests and travelling back and forth from Vancouver, has been life-changing and changed my perspective on basically everything.
- My bestie in Wyoming who has loved and put up with me since we were 5 years old, and respects my opinion enough to send me bits of the novel she is writing.
- My heterolifepartner who has accepted me for who I am from the first day we met, and always sends me pictures of her kids. I love them and look forward to them every year.
- The big-hearted boyfriend who makes me constantly laugh out loud and managed to give me a Christmas gift this year that was the absolute perfect balance of practicality and ridiculousness (yes I opened the gift a day early....I couldn't help it)
- The amazing friend who forces booze on me on Jeopardy night, makes me feel like an equal and that I will always be taken care of.
- The beautiful friend I am happy that I was able to reconnect with here in Victoria and unselfishly accepts to do photography for the friends and family in her life (including for me!)
- My dog who, even though he is a jerkface who is a pain in the butt, makes me laugh constantly and gives me unconditional love.
- My wonderful co-workers who make my job enjoyable and whose generosity have made me feel welcome in their homes this holiday season.
- All of my friends back in PEI who send me hilarious jokes and gifts, "just because". I miss them all so much.
- All of the people who make Christmas such a special time of year. Like the neighbour 2 houses down who this morning left a gift out for the recycling guys. Or the guy on the motorcycle who put a Santa hat and beard on his helmet. Or the people who put ornaments on some of the trees around Elk Lake. Thanks to those people for making my heart feel warm,
- The fact that I have no food allergies that inhibit me from enjoying all of the amazing food and goodies going around right now.
Plus 1000 other things that I am sure I did not bring up.
Please remember to stop and think about all of the people and things in your life that make Christmas so special. Don't think about the presents, or the stress, or the balance in your bank account or the number on the scale on January 1st. Don't worry about whether or not you got the perfect gift for someone. Be happy that you have that someone. Count your blessings.