Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Gutsy Resolution

Happy New Year!

For so many people, January 1st is a new beginning. Weight loss goals, diets, decisions to be more outgoing, drink less, be more happy, procrastinate less, make more time for yourself and everything else that you may want to change about yourself begins on the first day of the new year. Unfortunately for most people it generally ends about 7 days into the same new year with a large pizza, bottle of wine and several inappropriate text messages to an ex. I never started making resolutions until a few years ago. The one I made last year was somewhat successful with me trying to mumble less and speak more clearly. I am finding myself slipping back into bad habits so I need to be more conscientious about last year's resolution.

I was sort of thinking about whether or not I wanted to make a resolution for myself this year and until this morning I didn't think that I was going to make one. I was out hiking through the woods with the dog this morning, thinking about my life and the choices that I have made, and I decided that this year will be my year to be more gutsy. The dictionary defines gutsy as:

1) Having a great deal of courage, determination or nerve
2) Robust, vigorous, or earth; lusty

Now I'm not too sure about the second definition there but the first one is what I am hoping to achieve. Now being gutsy doesn't mean jumping off a cliff, swimming in a shark tank or eating leftovers which have been in the fridge for 3 weeks. In my head, gutsy is having the courage to step up and do something even though you might fail. It's not letting people walk all over you and standing up for yourself. It's also worrying less about what society expects of you, doing things for yourself and not settling for mediocrity.

This is going to be a big challenge for me and I will need to work in baby steps. I am a very scheduled kind of person who is a bit of a control freak and has a very hard time dealing with failure. I just completed the Myer-Briggs Type Indicator tool to assess my personality and it placed me as a fairly dramatic introvert which I am not hugely surprised at. I have always envied those who are incredibly outgoing and it would be nice to be able to change myself a bit in that sense. Is it doable to alter a personality in this way or are we genetically doomed with our personalities until the day we die? And where do I begin? Should I just do the opposite of what I usually do and hope for the best?

I think I will start by saying "yes" more often. That seems like a good start.

Oh yeah, and my other resolution is to have rock hard designer abs by the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment