Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Quinoa Carrot Muffins

While doing research on Ancient Grains for work (a topic I am a huge fan of because these grains are so delicious), I stumbled upon this recipe for Quinoa Carrot Muffins and decided to give them a try. I have never baked with quinoa flour before, had no idea what it tastes like or what the consistency in a recipe would be like, so I thought I would give it a go and try something new. Plus I am always interested in finding gluten-free recipes since people are always looking for good ones and I like being able to suggest them or how to alter their existing recipes to make them gluten-free.

I made a couple teeny alterations to the original recipe and I am very impressed with how they turned out! So good in fact I thought I would share them with everyone! I know that the past few blog posts have been consistently recipes but really, recipes are a great asset for everyone. And honestly, if I didn't know these were gluten-free, I would never have guessed that this wasn't made with good 'ol fashioned wheat flour. Plus they have zero added fat in them. Bonus! The next time I make them I am going to experiment...maybe make some flax gel and toss in some as substitution for eggs. Oh the possibilities! 

Quinoa Carrot Muffins
- 1 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 1/4 cups grated carrots

1) Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Prepare a muffin pan with paper muffin liners and set aside.
2) Combine the flour, bp, bs, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl. Mix in the raisins.
3) Mix together the eggs, brown sugar, yogurt and carrots in another bowl.
4) Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Divide evenly amongst the 12 muffin cups.
5) Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment