Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Verdict Says...Delicious!

I've been hesitant to try some of the Candida Diet approved recipes that I've been finding online, but this is a really, really, REALLY boring diet if you don't try new recipes and be a bit adventurous. The recipes I have posted below are so good in fact, I would make them even if I wasn't depriving myself of all the normal delicious foods in the world.

The first one I made up after feeling sad about not being able to have tomatoes. No tomatoes means no madras which is a staple in this house. I love curry with madras being my favourite (until now perhaps?) I'm going off the top of my head with this one but I think I remember what I put in.
Adrienne's Anti-Candida Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless skinless and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2-3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1/2-1 full can coconut milk (unsweetened!)
Method: Cook the chicken in the coconut oil. Remove the chicken from the pan and saute the onions and garlic until a bit softened (about 5 minutes). Add all of the spices and cook another 2 minutes. Add the chicken back into the pan and pour in the coconut milk, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for 2 minutes. Serve with some quinoa or brown rice. ENJOY!

The next one I found on a website all about the Candida Diet and it is called Quinoa Meatloaf.  I'll admit that it seemed strange and I was hugely skeptical on this one, but when I looked at the ingredients, it's really not all that different from a regular meatloaf apart from using quinoa in place of breadcrumbs or some other binder. I used ground turkey in place of ground beef because I don't eat beef and I altered a few ingredients based on what I had on my pantry.
Quinoa Meatloaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 chilies, depending on what kind of spice you like
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Method: Grease a loaf pan with the olive oil. Place the onion, garlic and chili in a food processor and chop very finely (or do it by hand). Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and place into the loaf pan. Bake at 350F for 75 minutes or until cooked through. To make sure it's done, an internal reading should be at 71degrees when using a thermometer. (71 and it's done!) This recipe would be really good with some kind of tomato based sauce poured over top of it. YUM! I am going to make it again when I can have tomatoes and reap the benefits of it's goodness.

I hope some of you try one of these recipes and become convinced that even though I am in dietary hell, there is hope for those like me when it comes to flavour and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment