Thursday, February 13, 2014

Coming Home

I doubt that there are very many people who can disagree with this post because I am doubting that there is anyone out there who has never been moved, either emotionally, physically, mentally or spiritually, by music. Music always seems to find a way into our souls and touches a place that nothing else can reach. Music is beauty, creativity and an interesting extension of our personalities. It can take us back to a time, place, feeling or state of mind and make us relive great or unpleasant memories. For most people, there is a band, song or album that gives them a sense of inner peace or simply brings a huge smile to their face. There is a band or song that is always on the iPod, even if you go for months without listening to it, it will never be removed because someday you will need to listen to it.

For me, that band is Tool. Specifically, the Lateralus album.


As soon as I put on this album it is as though I am going home again. I will go for months without listening to this band, but then one day I will just have to hear them. Whether it be because I am having a bad day and I need to find my center again or because I need to belt out some lyrics and smile like a fool, Tool is the band that makes my soul smile.

How does one even begin to describe the feeling I get when The Grudge begins? It's like a tightening in my chest of emotion. Almost like pride? No...I don't know how to explain it. There is this joy that spreads through me and I instantly relax listening to MJK's beautiful voice. Everything that is happening around me does not matter because I have this album to bring me back to where I need to be.

I have listened to Lateralus (and ever other one of Tool's albums) dozens and dozens (and dozens) of times and every time that I put it on, it's like listening to it for the first time. I am always moved and greatly appreciative of the power it has over me and the way it makes me feel. Whatever your taste in music may be, I really hope that you have a band that makes you feel like Tool makes me feel. As soon as those first few notes come at you, every calming neurotransmitter in your brain kicks in and you become lost in the music. All of the stress and bullshit that your day threw at you gets removed from your thoughts and you are left with nothing but yourself and the song.

Can you tell I listened to Lateralus today?

"Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reach out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come."

No comments:

Post a Comment