Monday, February 13, 2012

Queen of the Night

I was shocked and saddened hearing about the death of Whitney Houston. My first memory of listening to her was when I was very young. I remember hearing her very first album Whitney Houston at my friend Lisa's house and just thinking what an incredible voice this woman had. It's funny how a song can take you back to a specific time and place. I remember standing in her dining room and hearing that song so clearly. I can remember the sun coming in through the windows and standing there next to the patio doors listening to her voice. I have no idea how old I was, couldn't have been older than 6 or 7, but that is my first memory of listening to her rich and beautiful voice.

I mean, the woman won 2 Emmys, 6 Grammys, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards and an additional astonishing 355 other awards as well. She was amazing and she accomplished amazing feats. I find it very sad that the past 10 years were such a personal struggle for her and even though she ended a divorce with who seems to be a rather horrible man and openly discussed her battle with drug use, her life just never seemed to get back on track and she never was able to fully return to the spotlight.

But when it comes to Whitney Houston, nothing will ever touch my heart as much as the soundtrack to The Bodyguard. Myself and my sisters listened to that cassette endlessly, mostly singing at the top of our lungs driving along in the backseat of the car and to this day can still sing along to every track wholeheartedly. "I Have Nothing"and "Queen of the Night" are two of my favourites and get me grooving every time.

I don't really know to say about this. I just wanted to make this post be a tribute to Ms. Houston and say thanks for giving me so much fun and joy with your music. Plus you rocked the shit out of this metallic outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment