Sunday, February 3, 2013

Couch to 5K

So I have been in Victoria for a week now and I am starting to get into the swing of things. Sort of. I don't have a routine really yet since my work schedule hasn't been established yet (I start work tomorrow!) but I am learning where things are a bit and getting to explore a little. Jaime and Grayson came home from Mexico on Friday night and it has been great to spend some time with them. Jaime has been telling me more about the area, good trails to walk and ride a bike on, plus all of the amazing perks about living in this area. For example, just down the hill is a rec center and if you bring a document proving that you live in the area, you can rent a bike for free! Plus the skating is free and there is a bowling alley down there too for super cheap if you're a resident. This is a lovely area. I wish that I was a bit closer to downtown but in the scheme of things, I'm glad that I am not close because it means a whole lot less shopping in the amazing stores down there. Shopping + no income = disaster.

Jaime is a runner and she lives in a great area for the hobby. There are trails and roads everywhere for runner, joggers, walkers, bikers...anyone who is mobile! She's been my inspiration to get up off my butt and try to become a runner. Well, probably more like a really slow jogger, but you get the gist. I've been wanting to start running for a while now, actually ever since a girl I know told me about a program called the Couch To 5K Running Program. I looked it over about a year ago and thought, "Yeah, I could do that," but then dismissed the notion of it all. I don't think the Kotyks are "made for running" people since we tend to have heavy bones, and that is a good enough excuse for me! But then maybe, just maybe, I could fight against my genetics and heavy bones and give it a try. What do I have to lose? (besides my knees...)

One of the small bridges I cross on the trail
Day 1 - You start with a brisk warm-up walk. Then you alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes. Finish off with another 5 minute walk. 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Yeah I could do this. So today was Day 1 of the program and I think it went well. I started off by walking/jogging the trail that Jaime and I walked yesterday with her doggie Tank, then I hopped over to a trail which is right by the lake and continued along there. I know that a lot of people need inspiration to exercise, such as a health scare, weight gain, friends/family who cheer along with you, an active dog, bathing suit season or really just the desire to be more healthy. I found it easy to find inspiration while jogging along a well worn trail that circles a tranquil lake. As long as I have a good view, this shouldn't be all that terrible.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

1 comment:

  1. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. From couch to 5k

    ReplyDelete