Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lazy Pasta Lunch

I can define myself as a lazy cook who likes to put some effort into my food from time to time.

Sort of.

Alright, I am hard to define when it comes to my cooking and meal practices. People who know me think that it's amazing how I very rarely ever eat out and am always cooking fresh pots of something every week or couple of days. Yes I do put out the effort to cook for myself, but the stuff that I make is really lazy. 99% of what I make is just a one-pot meal (meaning everything goes into the pot, cooks and is done in 30ish minutes) which is so ridiculously easy for any person to do on a regular basis.

You say you're too busy to made home-cooked meals? Nope, not an excuse.

You say you can't afford the fresh ingredients and take-out is cheaper? Nope, not even going to believe it for a teeny tiny second.

Convenience foods (frozen dinners and pre-packaged meals) are cheaper and more time saving? Definitely not cheaper, but maybe a little bit easier if you only have 5 minutes to cook. But when you add up the time and money it takes to buy and make 7 frozen dinners, you can EASILY make one of Adrienne's lazy, but yummy, simple suppers.

I'm only cooking for myself, so I can be experimental from time to time and not worry about impressing anyone. If the meal flops, then at least it's only me eating it. What I do is just make a huge pot of something, portion it out into individual Tupperware containers, pop them into the freezer and VOILA! My lunch is ready for the next 5 shifts. So simple. So convenient. And delicious too (sometimes)!

Here is my creation today:

Adrienne's One-Pot Italian Pasta
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 5 large mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano and basil
- lots of black pepper and red chili flakes (omit if you can't handle the spice)
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (19 oz) white navy beans
- 2-3 large handfuls of bow-tie pasta (or whatever small pasta you have in the cupboard)

In a large pot, cook the chicken until no longer pink. Add all of the veggies plus all of the spices. Cook about 10 minutes, or until the veggies soften a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring the pot to a boil, cover and reduce the heat so that it gently boils. Cook about 20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked. Top with some grated parmesan or cheddar cheese. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment