Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Vanity Insanity

I had a highly enjoyable day today! It started early and was busy from beginning until end, but it was busy in the good kind of way that makes you think that you accomplished things that really need to get done. I had a list in my head of things that I wanted to get done today so I crawled out of bed early to make sure that I could use the car before Chris headed to work at 11:00am. I bought a concert poster off eBay a couple years ago from a Tool concert (my favourite band) and I have been meaning to get it framed since the day it was delivered to my door. But as most stories go, I never seemed to get around to doing it. Now that I have moved and plan on moving again in a few days, I have begun to stress out about it getting damaged from the moving and hanging process.
So I was at Michaels craft store by 8:09am to buy a poster frame for my beloved poster. All I can say is that people are nuts! That store was packed full of crazy Christmas shoppers! I did not understand what was going on when I got there but soon figured it out. There is this huge 3-day sale going on in which people can save something like, 80% of their purchases. It was quite terrifying actually. They were practically foaming at the mouth with the thought of getting that Build-A-Bear Princess Bear Kit for such an amazing price. Anyway, I got my frame and got the hell out of there as fast as I could. I am very happy to finally see my poster safely bound within the frame for my viewing pleasure.

After that I did some grocery shopping to get ready for my 2-week detox that I am going to begin on Monday. I have been volunteering with a local nutritionist, Rachelle Wood, and she is working with Dynamic Fitness to offer a 2 week long cleanse which includes hot yoga 3 days a week (at 6:30am...yikes!) and a diet to help detox the body of all the foods which are known as major allergens (wheat, dairy, soy..etc). Anyway, as support for both Rachelle and Dynamic Fitness, I agreed to come aboard and give it a shot. I'll freely admit that I am not one who really believes in detox unless you're ridding the body of known allergens that are negatively affecting your health, but I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I'm #1 when it comes to stomach problems so who knows, maybe I'll actually feel a bit better from it all. Plus I love love love hot yoga and haven't been attending any classes lately so it will feel great to get in there again.

After an afternoon of hitting the gym and working a few hours, I went out for a lovely meal with my good friend Jess, then we hit up Nakai spa to attend this highly enjoyable evening they were putting on for friends and clients. Basically it consisted of getting an in depth tour of the spa, learning about the services they provide and even getting mini spa sessions in the rooms. They were giving everyone services like neck/back massages, foot scrubs, arm wraps (like a body wrap but only on the arm to demonstrate), hand massages and hair styling. It was a great way of promoting the business and the products they sell there. Plus there was snacks and drinks to boot!

One of the major highlights of my day was taking a minute to enjoy a little bit of personal vanity from a complete stranger and realizing that I made a good choice. A couple weeks ago I was torturing myself with the decision of whether or not I wanted to grow my hair out. The wig I wore for Halloween made me want long hair so badly that I was willing to go through the horrible stages of growing my hair out for the long-term benefits of having long hair. I have had short hair now for 16 years and envy every girl (or guy) who has long beautiful hair. We want what we don't have but having short or long hair is something that I have complete control over..but I ended up cutting it off again and keeping the same old look. Today I had a complete stranger look at me with a heart-filled expression and said, "Your hair is so amazing," and that completely made my day in every way. Even though it drives me bat-shit crazy nearly every day due to its rebellious nature, I do get a lot of compliments about my hair and my vanity gets a little stroke of acceptance when I hear something nice about it. Somewhere in the past year or so, my hair has become a sort of trademark or something of a distinguishing factor. "Yeah, the girl with the short blond hair." That's me! I would be hard to give up a part of me that makes me stand out from the crowd.


....as I stare longingly at the wig which hangs just a few feet from where I am sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment