Sunday, November 27, 2011

So Long, Farewell R&R

Today is a sad day for me. I made a promise to keep a secret for a couple weeks, but today I can announce that the restaurant I work at, Rufus and Rory's Finer Diner, has closed its doors forever. I wish that things could have turned out differently and even though we fought like hell to stay open, there just wasn't enough business from the locals to keep the place going. This is a cruel town to open a restaurant in because people don't want to break away from their "tried and true" places they've been going to for years. The restaurant only opened just over a year so and the summer was really quiet for all businesses so it was a hard first summer to be open for when a lot of restaurants rely on huge tourist summer sales to get them through the hard winters. Also, Cora's closed nearly a week ago which is a popular breakfast restaurant in town, and we've been getting a lot of their business the past few days...if only we could stay open a little bit longer to see if we'd be able to pick up enough of their business to stay open. Either way, I am truly sad to be not only out of my job but also that the city lost a fun little place to go to eat and also work. We made some really great regular customers who relied on us to provide a delicious meal day after day, so I know that a lot of people are going to be upset when they go there to have a meal only to find the doors locked. Personally, I will miss Dave's amazing daily homemade soups and baked beans.

But on a more positive note, we are about 60% moved into the new apartment and I am so excited to finish up the moving tomorrow and settle in. The landlord has put a lot of work into fixing up the place and it looks so nice - I can't wait!

On a less positive note, I stare my detox tomorrow. I am slightly frightened since the only fruits I am allowed to eat for 2 weeks are granny smith apples, lemons, limes and 100% pure cranberry juice. I am a fruitaholic so this part alone will be very hard for me. It will be good though because it will get me into eating more veggies which I need. When I want a quick snack I always reach for the fruit because it's a tiny bit easier, so having to stop to cut up some veggies will be an improvement on my slackness with snacking. Plus I get to go to hot yoga tomorrow! It's been a while since I've been up so early but I am looking forward to getting up really early to start my busy day of packing and moving. Suppose I should try to find a job as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment