Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dozing Off Behind the Wheel

My dad is great. Truly. He has so many fantastic characteristics that makes him the one and only Larry Kotyk that will ever walk the earth. First of all he's hilarious. Hanging out with him is always a time of laughter. I don't think he even tries to be funny which makes it even greater. He's very giving (he always gives me the best bite of ice cream in his bowl), optimistic and supportive (especially when I told him I was planning to move all the way across the country), and he always surprises us when he starts singing the most random songs at the most random times. Most of these songs being childhood rhymes or commercials that pretty much everyone else had forgotten about 30 years ago.


Two night ago I did something at work that immediately reminded me of something that my dad does and it made me smile, so I thought that I would share it. You see, one thing about my dad that makes him great is that when I am flying back from PEI for whatever reason, he is always willing to come pick me up at any time, from any airport. Unfortunately sometimes this means being there to pick me up around midnight in Kelowna in which there is a 3.5 hour drive afterwards...none of which I am willing to drive because I'm pooped from the trip already. Many years ago my mom informed me that when my dad gets tired when he's driving, he'll start humming or singing the most random songs to keep himself awake. I have learned this to be true from the numerous late-night drives to and from airports (and trips to Seattle) over the years. In fact, if I am dozing in the seat next to him and I hear him start singing when there's no music playing on the radio, I become instantly awake because I know he's getting sleepy and I might need to be alert in case he drives off the road.

So like I said, two nights ago I learned that I inherited this trait from my dad. Around 4am when I was driving my beloved pink forklift around (I have affectionately named her Pinkie), I suddenly realized that I was singing the most random set of songs. First it was "If I could make a living out of lovin you", by Clay Walker (haven't heard that song in at least 10 years), "Just Crusin" by Will Smith, and "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast. Yep. Gaston. As in "No one shoots like Gaston, Makes those beauts like Gaston, Then goes tromping around wearing boots like Gaston..."

I guess I should take comfort in the fact that I am one of the rare people who is actually happy to have traits from their parents. Who knew?

But I'm still upset that I got my dad's short sausage fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment