Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What a Pain in the Neck


When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I was riding a tricycle in my neighbours back yard and managed to ride it right off of a wall and into the lower area of the yard. It was about a 6 foot fall and ended up messing up my neck which would affect me from that moment on. I did initially go to a chiropractor to try to help with the neck problems, but somewhere along the line I stopped going (probably because I quit everything I do) and just learned how to deal with the faulty neck. I’ve learned ways to avoid triggering my neck into severe pain (which always involves horrible headaches), but the night before I left PEI I messed it up good just by sitting with my head resting on Chris’s shoulder while watching an episode of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia. That was enough to prompt a massive headache that I have now had for nearly 2 weeks.

I officially decided that enough is enough and that living with this neck is just stupid. So, I made an appointment to get a complete head and neck transplant. What they do is sever my head and replace it with another head (hopefully better looking!), with a final result of no more neck and head pain. Kidding, kidding. I made an appointment to see a chiropractor in hope of finding some long-term relief. On Friday was the initial visit in which we talked about my history and he took a good look at my damage and decrepit body. I think it was a bad sign when he looked at my alignment and said “so you’re right handed,” and I said “nope, left handed”, and he replied with, “oh….that’s bad then.” Great. Just what I wanted to hear. My body is so messed up that the dude assumed I was right handed because my crappy posture told him so. Awesome. But I had a very informative session with him and he explained some interesting facts about the spine and tendons and all kinds of awesome biological reasons for my screwed up body. Biology is awesome. If I wasn’t in Nutrition, there’s no doubt in my mind that I would be going for a Biology major.


So as of now, the game plan is to go visit the chiropractor a few times a week in hopes of making some major progress on my problems. I’ve already gone twice this week already and plan to make at least one more appointment this week (if the work schedule allows). I know that this will be a life-long process of constantly going in for adjustments and keeping myself in check, but it will be worth it to be rid of my aches and pains that have been plaguing me since I was a kid. That would be lovely indeed.

Holy Crap. I start work tomorrow! I’ll admit that’s it’s been lovely being able to be such a slacker for so long, but the time has come for me to get back out there and actually make some money instead of just burning through it as I have been. I’m a bit nervous to start work because I have no idea what to expect and I know that I’ll be doing work that I have never done before, so it will be 100% new. On the flip side, I’ll be doing something 100% new which is exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment