Monday, November 22, 2010

What Have I Become?

I think that it is safe to say that I have officially become a snob. Yep. I'm not denying it anymore. The realization of becoming a snob is not easy to accept in the beginning and I have been denying myself of the truth for a total of 7 days now. Now you might be thinking that it's strange that I know the exact date in which I became an honourary snob and yes, it was an abrupt moment in my life when this happened and the date was marked accordingly.

It all happened on November 15th when I was walking to school and saw the big banner outside McDonalds advertising that they would be giving away free coffee for two weeks straight. So I thought to myself, "Great! Free coffee for two whole weeks! Can't complain about that." But still, I went to campus that day and paid $1.50 for a hot cup of Starbucks coffee and have done so nearly every day since. I would rather pay for one brand of coffee then get free coffee of another brand. To fully explain just how deep this Starbucks snobbery goes, I can't even drink the coffee at work (which I also get for free) because it just doesn't match the deliciousness of Starbucks. How did I become such a coffee yuppie?? Sure I've wanted to own a Volvo for a long long time, but this whole adoration of a name brand coffee just creeped up on me and has taken over my caffeinated beverage life. Having to admit to my good friend Jo that I am now a Starbucks snob was difficult for me to say out loud because she is so highly against coffee chains and I hate to look bad in her eyes. But what am I to do at this point? I'm in too deep to look back now.

Now I keep thinking about what I'm going to do when I go home for Christmas for 2 weeks and the nearest Starbucks coffee is a 20 minute drive away. Am I seriously going to go that far out of my way for my comfort drink? I think I might have to get my car keys taken away when I get there or give them my picture and refuse my business.

On a sad note, I just learned that the fantastic Food Network show Ace of Cakes has been canceled. I have been living without cable for a couple years now and even when I did have cable in 1st and 2nd year here, the Food Network was never given to us students. But when I go home I basically live and breathe the Food Network, with one of my favourite shows being Ace of Cakes. Everyone who reads this blog knows that I am a die hard Cake Wrecks fan and this show is all about amazing cakes (so basically the complete opposite of Cake Wrecks). I am sad to learn that they are finishing up their last season. Those people are amazing artists and I know they'll be hugely successful for as long as people want to spend large amounts of money on astounding pastry designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment