Sunday, December 26, 2010

Life's Funny Like That

There’s this thing about growing up which can be startling at some times but also very eye-opening and educational. As we get older we learn more and more facts and stories about our family which were hidden from us as we were kids. Obviously there are tons and tons of things that our parents have to keep from us when we’re young because it’s just so out of our scope of understanding. I think that every time I come home to BC I learn some new things about my parent’s or family’s past that just makes me change my view of them slightly. 99.99% of the time it makes me think just that more highly of them. Tonight was one of those nights for sure. I can’t tell the world what it is that I learned tonight because my mom made me promise to keep my mouth shut, but I can say that my head was down on the kitchen table because I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t hold the weight of my head upright. In fact, it's been a long time since I laughed as hard as I did tonight. Plus the things coming out of Cadance’s mouth was so funny that I nearly had to leave the room at a couple points because it was just too funny to handle. That little girl is getting quite the personality. Oh man. Good luck to her parents.

What made tonight so great is that everyone, for the first time I have been home, was feeling good. We postponed our Christmas dinner yesterday because Amy and Jer ended up coming down with that evil stomach bug that was going around. This also meant that neither of them attended the first round of gift opening or the big Christmas Eve event at the Kotyk house. It was sad not having them around. The night just wasn’t the same. Then on Christmas morning only Amy was able to come over because Jer was still not well, and Pam and Graham went to Kamloops to spend the holiday with his family, so it was just the five of us that morning. Nearly 50% of our clan wasn’t there on Christmas morning (including Splash) so it was a quiet and mellow day for all of us. By the time Amy and Cadance left around noon, it was just me and my parents around the house. I went for a good run and got a lot of reading done, which in my opinion is a great way to spend Christmas day. I think that people go way overboard with Christmas day when really, it should be a day of visiting and relaxation.

Today is Boxing Day and for the first time ever in my life, I went shopping. I was very optimistic and hoped for finding great sales. And yeah, there were great sales, but everything was so picked over in terms on sizes for clothing. Generally the stores had every style in stock, but only in sizes XS, XL or XXL. Crap. But I did get a cute new coat and a shirt. Unfortunately when I got home and showed my mom she said I looked like Peter Pan. Thanks mom. I now have no desire to wear this shirt ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment