Thursday, December 16, 2010

Powered by Borscht!

I’ve been in BC for 2 whole days now and I’m pooped already. I guess it could be the jet-lag, or the mass amounts of candy I’ve been consuming, or maybe it has to do with the fact that my life took a complete 180 by coming here. In PEI my life consists of school, work, the lovely boy, my friends and any other thing that may come my way. Here it consists of family, walking dogs (who are always in my face wanting to go outside to play), a niece (who is also in my face wanting to play), Christmas shopping, grocery shopping, cooking, baking, tree decorating and game playing. So both lives sound pretty great and I am very much not complaining, but switching from one to the other can be a bit overwhelming at times!

The thing that sucks about being gone for so long is that when you get back you have this huge weight on your shoulders to make sure that you get to see all of your friends and family before you head back. Plus there’s a time window in which you should call them and go visit before it gets to the point in which they start to think that, “well, she’s been here for a week now and I’m just seeing her now?” You don’t want to be the jerk who takes too long to contact everyone. Most people are understanding though.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. My family waited to put up the tree until I came which was very nice of them. My dad, sister and I all put it together today and as I analyze it sitting here in front of me I am noticing that there is a huge gap in the lower right corner. I’m going to have to fix that in a few minutes. Mom made some borscht for dinner and I whipped up some homemade buns to go along with it. Yum yum. I think it’s become tradition for my mom to make a pot of borscht within the first two days of me getting home…although I’m quite sure she isn’t aware that she does it. Not that I mind! It’s one of my favourites.

So what else to tell? I’m hoping to get to Nelson either tomorrow or the next day. I have officially fallen in love with a local designer, Lillie and Cohoe, who makes these amazingly lovely hats. On the drive from Kelowna to Trail yesterday we stopped at this little coffee/gift shop and they sold them there and I just wanted one immediately but am too effing cheap to buy one for myself. But, I think that I will go to Nelson and get one because I am kicking myself for not stepping up and just putting out the money for such a great quality and adorable hat. Horray for hats! I tend to not buy hats anymore because of the whole issue with people calling me “sir” all of the time, but then I decided that if I buy girly looking hats then there is a much less chance of that happening. My logic is flawless!

Tip of the Day: Denial and inner reasoning will get you everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment