Sunday, August 29, 2010

Belly vs. Belly

So yesterday while enjoying my lunch in the lunchroom at work, a man who I have never seen before...he must have been working an extra shift, made a comment that kind of offended me. No, offended is not the right word. I know that there are a lot of people who feel/think as this man does and I think it's such an odd and backward way to think about something that it just struck something in me that made me a bit angry in some way. Let me explain.

He said that the other day he saw a very pregnant woman wearing a bikini top and thought that it was disgusting. He wondered why women did that because it was so gross and he didn't want to see that.

Disgusting? Gross? Seriously? It was one of those moments when I really wanted nothing more than to speak my mind but I bit my tongue and decided to mind my own business. The statement just boggled my mind I guess. What is so disgusting about a woman displaying her pregnant belly? We have to look at men's bloated and over sized beer guts all of the time when we go to the beach, what's wrong with a baby belly? At least a woman's stretched stomach is a healthy and natural distention which has been happening for thousands of years as we repopulate the planet. It's not like she's hurting anyone for displaying her body like this. Men who abuse their bodies to the point of ginormous bellies are hurting themselves on an unhealthy level, and yet they feel no shame in going around topless in public places. How would they like to be called disgusting or gross?

Now I get that some people are very modest and don't like to see an outright display of skin like that, but using the word "disgusting" to describe this was just downright rude and could be hugely offensive to some people. Now if this were me with the protruding baby belly, I could never be the kind of person to show it off like some women and I actually applaud the women who do it. Women have a hard enough time with self esteem issues and most of us are terrified to show off our bodies or gain even just a few pounds. Meanwhile these women are proud to have put on weight and show some skin to tell the world how excited they are to be a mom. I say free bikinis to all pregnant women!

Tip of the Day: Don't forget to wax!

1 comment:

  1. Great points and a great article! When you reference men specifically, I think you would like my "fat" article on my blog! Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete