Monday, January 10, 2011

Let The Normalcy Begin!

I'm beginning to hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that my life will return to normal again. It's been a rough week and even though Mondays are not my favourite day of the week, I am hoping that the beginning of a new week will be the first step to normalcy. I've been hugely sleep deprived for a week now due to all of the stress and unusual living conditions we've been in. Sleep on either bug infested mattresses or springy pull-out beds is just not my ideal sleeping arrangement.

As I just said, I am hoping that life returns back to normal now because it's strange to be stuck in a mental space I am not comfortable with. I've been bombarded with all of this extra junk in my life like bedbugs, internship applications (I'll explain about that one soon), Chris being laid off from work (don't get me started), lack of heat in apartment (see below) and as a result I have been putting important things at the back of my mind when they should be at the front. LIKE SCHOOL! I am the worst student right now! Unless I am on campus and sitting in class, my brain is completely withdrawn from school in every way. People keep asking me about assignments and I give them that dumb look like I have no idea what they are talking about because..well...I have no idea what they're talking about! I desperately need to get my head in the game.

Last Monday was the official day we learned about the whole bedbug situation and it still seems that we are bedbug free. I was really itchy yesterday but it's because I was wearing a wool sweater, but the paranoia is still there at the back of my mind. Every time my hand touches my skin to scratch, I have to feel around the area for a good 10 seconds to make sure there's no bump attached to the cause of itch. So far so good.

On Friday night when I went to bed, the apartment seemed a lot cooler than normal. The heat in our apartment is controlled by the people who live in the very bottom apartment which is a crappy system but it's all we've got. Usually the place is really warm so the fact that I was super cold when crawling into bed was a new and unusual experience for me. Unfortunately all of our extra bedding was not available since it was still at Chris's parents house (where everything we owned was washed) so by the time I was warm enough to actually sleep, I was wearing slippers, sweat pants and two long sleeved shirts. I would have worn a toque but they were with the bedding. The following evening was a bit cooler than the night before so I figured that something was going on. Why did they have the heat turned down so much? Turns out the people moved out so no one was controlling the heat anymore! Plus since it was a weekend, no one would help us until Monday. Ugh. Luckily Sunday night we went to Chris's parent's house for supper which meant I not only got a lovely meal but I also got to retrieve the rest of the bedding, plus my pillow!

Thankfully when I got home from school the apartment felt nice and warm once again. Ahhhhhhh. Last night I finally got some decent sleep. Man that feels good. Only about 10 more hours of catch-up and I should be back to normal.

Saturday night was a fun night. As I mentioned in my last post, a good sized group of ours all met up at a bar to celebrate the births of many friends. The cool thing about living on this tiny island is that the longer you live here, the more friends you make, and suddenly you find out that your one group of friends knows your other group of friends so you end up partying with various groups of friends who you didn't even realize knew each other! Friend overlapping is very convenient because instead of making plans with various people at different times, you can do it all at once and chill as one large group. So the party was a success and I was incredibly happy to see a group of friends I don't get to hang out with nearly often enough.

1 comment:

  1. just remember, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger! hang in there

    ReplyDelete