Friday, January 14, 2011

Who Really Has More Fun??

Thursday was a big day. I went out on a limb and decided to temporarily turn my head of super blonde hair into a dark shade of red. I made the decision two months ago to make the drastic change but until Thursday, as I sat in the hairdresser's chair, even I wasn't sure if I'd go through with it. But I did, and here I am - a redhead.

The funny thing I've noticed in the past 72 hours is how differently the genders interpret my new do. Nearly ever single female or female friend who has seen me since the new hair change has had the same reaction. The compliments gush out about how it suits my skin tone and how it makes my eyes pop..etc...the feedback has been great from the XX chromosome population. Then there's the men. I mean, you can't really be surprised that their reaction is different because men have, what I believe to be, a natural internal mechanism that responds strongly to females with blonde hair. If you think about it, a lot of young girls start their lives with lightly coloured hair and as they age it becomes darker. Maybe men think of blonde women as being more youthful and desirable? Or maybe since most Playboy centerfolds are blondes they think of blondes as being more sexy? Perhaps blondes really do have more fun and therefore are more enjoyable to spend time with? Or maybe since society has stereotyped the blonde as being more ditsy and dumb, men think that blondes are easier to out-smart and manipulated and they can make the women do whatever they want, meaning that blondes are easier to get in the sack. Whatever the reason is, ever single man who has seen my hair and has had the guts to speak up about it has said that they like the blonde better. And yet, none of them were able to give me a reason as to why this is. Hmmmmmm.

The one good thing about the new colour is that I can hide if I really wanted to. People tend to overlook me because they're not expecting to see my face attached to a head of non-blonde hair. I had a good number of people the past three days walk past me, glace up at my face, keep walking and them stop and turn around and say, "Oh Hey! I nearly didn't recognize you!" I think it's the nose that gave it away.

Tip of the Day: Justin Bieber jokes will never get old so if you don't want to keep seeing them then I suggest stop reading this blog for a while.

1 comment:

  1. It really blows my mind that guys and gals have such different reactions to the new shade. I'll admit that I fall into the "thinks it really suits you" category... I even mentioned to Ryan how fantastic it looks. So I guess it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts on the new vs. the old. I'd say the lesson in all of this is that you can pull both colors off. =)

    ReplyDelete