Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Countdown to the End

Finally this island is beginning to warm up a bit. I was afraid that graduation would consist of us all wearing snow-pants and Sorels under our gowns. Hopefully the snow melts by the time my parents get here, or else that would be a tragic way to introduce the island to them. It's amazing how fast the snow is melting though. Two days of temperatures above 0 and there's giant masses of ice falling off of the roofs of buildings around downtown.

Tip of the Day: Walk on the outer edge of the sidewalks to avoid icicle impalement.

So there's about 3 weeks left of classes and it's quite hilarious to see everyone in my class begin to panic. And for once it's not the fact that assignments and exam dates are coming up fast - it's the idea that we will be done school and actually have to figure out what to do with our lives. I'll admit that I am concerned as well. I mean, we've all been students for so long that we forget how to function in the real world. Our big responsibilities are to go to class, make decent grades, work a part-time job to pay some bills (some of us anyway), and try to get some sleep at some points during the week. We've gotten so good at sticking to strict schedules and living off of coffee and mac n'cheese that it's hard to believe that there is a life for us out there that consists of a 9-5 job and not having to scramble to get presentations and research papers finished before midnight.

The more I type about this, the more real it becomes and slightly more frightening it is. If I get an internship then that would be great and I'll be stuck in student mode for another year, but that's only a 10 month thing and will end eventually. I'll admit that while it's interesting not knowing where my life will lead me and that I'm just living from day-to-day, I am exhausted of being a student and I am looking forward to having a job. I just want to find a job, get a permanent place to live, a car and a couple dogs....and I'll be happy.



When I was looking for pictures of happy dogs I came across this picture and these guys just looked so content that it seemed like a perfect picture. Contentedness is a great goal to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment