Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Just Like A Disneyland Ride

Well, it's a small world after all. I love it when the world reminds you of just how small this giant planet is.

The day of my interview in Halifax, I met a girl who is originally from Calgary but is going to school in the States (one of the Carolinas I think...?) and who's parents moved to Peachland, BC, where they retired a few years back because they wanted to live in a warmer area of Canada. Peachland is a good 4 hour drive from where I am from, so I originally thought that it was cool that she visited the lovely Okanagan every summer to go visit her family.

Then I told her I was from Trail and it was like I had just announced that I had recently visited the moon and did the macarena with little green aliens.

"Trail?!?!? My dad would freak out if he knew that I was on the other side of the country talking to a girl from Trail. He loves Trail! When we were younger, we have to drive through there every single time we go through BC just to get Colander spaghetti and meatballs. I can't believe you're from Trail! I remember being a kid and going there for dinner and being amazed at how huge the meatballs were." She was very upset when I told her that they discontinued the spumoni ice cream a few years back. Mmmmmm....spumoni ice cream.



Then I told her that I actually worked for the Colander for a summer and she nearly pooped her pants and asked for any recipes that I may have learned during my time there. Unfortunately they keep all recipes under strict lock and key so I was unable to divulge any secrets. All I know is that if you add about 3 pounds of chicken fat and white wine into your pasta sauce then you're on the fast track to figuring it all out.

Anyway, I thought I would just share that silly story because it was great that I was able to talk to someone in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who goes to school in the USA who previously lived in Calgary Alberta and whose parents live in Peachland BC where they still want nothing more than more heat and Colander spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment