Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Quit Yer Complaining!


You know how we always push away the good things in our lives because we are so stubbornly stuck on obsessing with focusing on the negative things instead? As terrible as it is. I think it's human nature to do this and frankly, it sucks! Today I am came to the conclusion that I need to stop bitching about the little things in terms of my "altered" health because I have it so insanely good it's not even funny!

Ever since I was 10 years old I have had stomach issues which were never officially diagnosed by a competent doctor. I missed a ton of school as a kid because I would be so doubled over in pain it hurt to stand up straight. I had every invasive test known to mankind and all of them came up negative. Sometimes it's a good thing to actually find something wrong so that it can have a name and hopefully a cure. This was not the case for me. So I suffered for many years trying to learn what triggered the pain and eventually tried some diet plans in hopes of finding some relief. For many many years now I have followed a somewhat strict diet which involves little/zero fast food, pop, greasy food, rich food, dairy, baker's yeast, bananas and many others which are not coming to mind at the moment. Eating like this is can be definitely inconvenient at times but it's just the way it is for me.

In class this afternoon, we were discussing diseases of the lower gastrointestinal tract and the topic of ileostomy and colostomy bags came up. Now, in case anyone doesn't know what these are, this is when a person has such a terrible diseased small intestine that he/she needs to have a large part of their intestine removed and detached from the colon/rectum. They then have to create a hole in their abdominal wall in which they pull the intestine out of the body, pull the intestine around the hole and clamp it in place. So literally, if you put your finger inside this abdominal hole, you are putting your finger inside an intestine. A bag then has to be attached to the hole and it serves as a holding for all waste that is created through the process of eating and digestion. Essentially, this is their poop-bag. They have to carry their poo in a bag attached to their body for the rest of their life.

I am suddenly 100% ok with my stomach problems. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment