Monday, September 13, 2010

Technology Love Affair


So I have somehow lasted about 9 months of writing this blog and have never brought up the topic of cell phones. How that is possible I am not sure because I have a lot to say when it comes to cellular technology. I am one of the last people on this planet who does not own a cell phone and that is for a couple of reasons. The first one being that I feel like I have little use for one. I like the fact that people can't get ahold of me at any every moment of the day and that I don't have to worry about my backpack ringing when in class or at the theatre. Another reason is that I would probably find it depressing how it would rarely ever ring since there aren't a lot of people who call me throughout the day.

I actually had a cell phone this summer. I didn't want to get a land line at my sister's house which I was renting, so my mom asked me if they wanted to use their ancient cell phone for the summer. I found that while the cell phone was handy for some situations, I still basically used it as just a regular phone. I didn't carry it around with me throughout the day unless I was waiting for a very important phone call. It just sat at home on the counter 99% of the time. Like I said, I like being cut off from the rest of the world most of the time. I actually found myself texting with my heterolifepartner a lot but I didn't really enjoy doing that. I would have rathered just picked it up and given her a call to actually talk. Talking saves a lot of time compared to texting.

So the reason I bring this topic up today is that this afternoon while I was walking to class, a girl was walking through a doorway while texting. I held the door for her and she was 100% oblivious that she just walked through an open doorway while a complete stranger held it for her. It makes me sad that we are so cut off from the environment around us because we are trying to constantly stay in touch with the rest of world. What if it had been the man/woman of her dreams holding the door at that second and she brushed on by without even knowing that she just passed her soul mate? Hmmm? Did anyone think of that? Chris always makes fun of me because I walk with my head up and my eyes straight ahead, meanwhile he walks most of the time with his eyes to the ground. He always asks me how am I supposed to know where I'm walking or walking into with my eyes up all of the time. I respond by asking how he gets around missing out on what's surrounding him instead of at his feet? Sure I may lose my footing a little more often and trip a time or two, but at least I am looking people in the eye instead of at their feet!

I am off topic. My whole point of this whole thing is that it's sad how human relationships are not seemingly as important as the love affair we have with our cell phones and computers. A lot of the time I feel a bit isolated because I don't have the cell phone that keeps me in contact with everyone else and I know that one day I will have to get one just because all other kinds of phones will be fazed out (like VHS and cassette tapes) and we will be unable to survive without owning one (like the internet!). The only really sad part of it all is that it will be some 15 year old kid at Telus or Bell or some place that, will be teaching me how to use one. Oh the humiliation in my future in inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment