Monday, April 5, 2010

Always Listen to Mom


So yesterday evening I felt as though I deserved a study break, so I went for a nice walk down around the boardwalk to enjoy the amazing weather and the view of the water. A woman was approaching me with this dog that reminded me of Splash,(which of course made me smile) and she got as far away from me as she could, (even walked right off of the sidewalk) and snidely said "nice hair" and just kept on walking right by me. I was slightly blown away by this comment. Yeah, PEI is about 20 years behind in basically every way possible, and yeah, people here are a bit sheltered from the rest of the world. But there are far wackier hair-dos then mine on this island, and 99.9% of them are on decent and wonderful human beings. So...why would she go out of her way to make a cynical comment to some bleached blond chick with some blue in her hair, whom she has never met before??? Why do people have to do that? Also, it's not as though this was some 14 year old brat who was trying to make a statement by being overly mean. No. This was a full-grown woman who was easily in her late 30's-early 40's and has had plenty of time to grow a personality and a good set of basic morals.

I hate that there are people in the world who get off making other people feel like shit about themselves (if you're reading this, pardon my French grandma). I mean, this woman didn't make me feel like shit because I truly don't care about what she thinks about my hair, but if she's able to make a comment like that to me then she's more than likely able to say it to someone who actually may care about what other people think of them...which can be really damaging for some people. It's just so uncool. Why do people have to be like that? Open your mind, open your heart and accept people for who they are. I'm sorry I can't a perfectly straight brunette ponytail like you lady...I like my hair. Deal with it.

Like my mom always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment